Yuba County Sheriff
720 Yuba St
Marysville, CA 95901
Contact Us | View Map
Business Hours
M-F 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Phone Number
(530) 749-7777

Animal care Services

Leave a crime tip

CCW Permits

Inmate Search

Offender Watch

Victim Information

Phone Directory
CALL 911
For Emergencies

Documents on this site are in pdf format. To view you will need Acrobat Reader.
You can find Acrobat Reader

Animal Care Services

Due to COVID-19, the ACS public lobby is closed for walk-in service, but ACS Staff is available to assist by appointment. All Yuba County Administrative Offices will be closed from 12/24/2020 through 1/3/2021, and will resume operations on 1/4/2021 with continued COVID-19 protocols in place.

*As of 6/12/2020, the Animal Care Services Phone is changing to (530) 749-7395*

Animal Care Services is a division of the Yuba County Sheriff’s Department. Animal Care Services provides service for the unincorporated areas of Yuba County. Animal Care Services does not provide field services to the City of Wheatland, City of Marysville, or Beale Air Force Base; however it does provide licensing services for the City of Wheatland ONLY.

Animal Care Services does far more than caring for lost, injured and abandoned animals in our community.

We provide a variety of services that protect both citizens and animals including:

  • Transporting stray injured animals to veterinarians for emergency care.
  • Rescuing animals from locked vehicles and abusive or negligent conditions.
  • Provide assistance locating services for wild animal removal.
  • Impounding loose and stray animals.
  • Administering a rabies control program.
  • Helping citizens resolve nuisance problems such as complaints about barking dogs. Click here for Barking Dog Ordinance
  • Investigating dog bite complaints.
  • Assisting other agencies such the Sheriff’s Department, Fire Department, and California Highway Patrol.
  • Educating pet owners on the importance of spaying or neutering their cats and dogs.
  • Address and respond with regards to animals in disaster situations
  • Co-sponsor Low Cost Vaccination Clinics


Most importantly, we keep lost pets safe and happy so they can be reunited with their owner or adopted into a new family.

After Hour Service – Request for services should be directed to the Yuba County Sheriff’s Department, 749-7777.

After hour services is restricted to emergencies and responses are made to the following incidents:

  • Pickup of injured animals away from their owners, from public roads, streets, etc.
  • Pickup and quarantine strays or unidentifiable animals involved in biting incidents. Identifiable animals will be quarantined the next workday.
  • Pickup animals from any Law Enforcement Agency or Fire Fighting Agency within our jurisdiction. Note: no stray animals.
  • Whenever the Animal Care Services Officer determines that the public’s health or safety is involved.
Shelter Location:
Yuba County Sheriff’s Animal Care Services
5245 Feather River Blvd
Olivehurst, CA 95961
(530) 749-7395 ∙ Fax (530) 741-6301

Shelter Hours:

Office Hours (Please note the shelter office will be closing daily from Noon-1 PM)
08:00 AM - Noon and 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM Monday thru Friday*
Saturdays - Animal pickup by appointment only

Kennel Hours
10:00 AM - Noon and 1:00 PM - 3:30 PM Monday thru Friday
Saturdays - Animal Pickup by appointment only

CLOSED - Sundays and Holidays

Dog License Fees

Unaltered Dogs
1 Year = $25 | 2 Year = $50 | 3 Year = $75

Fee if Spayed or Neutered
1 Year = $12 | 2 Year= $18 | 3 Year = $25

Transfer of Ownership/Replacement Tag = $15

Unaltered Dogs/Senior Discount*
1 Year = $11 | 2 Year = $14 | 3 Year = $17

Fee if Spayed or Neutered/Senior Discount*
1 Year = $8 | 2 Year= $10 | 3 Year = $12

*Senior Citizen Discount Rates - Owners 65 years and older with proof of age

Guide/Hearing/Law Enforcement Dogs - Upon proof of working dog status no fee

Late Fees - $20

Printable Application for Dog License in PDF

Please complete the application and enclose a check or money order payable to Yuba County Animal Care Services and mail to:

Yuba County Sheriff’s Animal Care Services
5245 Feather River Blvd
Olivehurst, CA 95961

You may also license in-person at the Animal Care Services Reception Center
during public hours as posted above.

Please be sure to enclose copies of current rabies vaccination certificate, certificate of Spay or Neuter (If applicable).

All certificates are returned with your license receipt. All licenses must be paid by cash, check, or money order only. No credit or debit cards are accepted at this time.

Dog License Information
  • LICENSING - All dog owners residing within the jurisdiction of Yuba County Animal Care Services that owns a dog four (4) months of age or older, must be licensed. Those residing within the city limits of Marysville or within the confines of Beale AFB are not within the jurisdiction of Yuba County Animal Cares Services.
  • RABIES VACCINATION - The rabies vaccination is mandatory BEFORE the issuance of a new license. All new and renewal license applications require a copy of the rabies vaccination certificate that is issued by a licensed veterinarian. The license is only valid during the time the rabies vaccination is effective, so please check and make sure that the rabies vaccination has not expired.
  • PROOF OF SPAY/NEUTER – Initial application. If your pet is spayed or neutered, please submit a copy of the spay/neuter certificate from your licensed veterinarian. We will also accept proof such as, for example, a veterinary bill detailing the alteration surgery or a rabies vaccination certificate that indicates that an animal is spayed or neutered.
  • LENGTH OF A LICENSE - Licenses may be purchased for 1 year 2 year or 3 years. If you would like a 3-year license, then the rabies vaccination must be valid during the 3-year period of the license. For example, if you purchase a 3-year license in 2003, then the rabies vaccination must also be valid for three years until 2006. A license cannot expire AFTER the rabies vaccination.
  • TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP/REPLACEMENT TAG – there is a $15 fee to cover costs associated with license tag, or to transfer ownership prior to license expiration date.
  • SENIOR CITIZEN DISCOUNT - We offer a significant pet licensing discount for Senior Citizen residents 65 years and older. We do require proof of age, such as a copy of a driver's license or any official document stating your identity and your age.
  • GUIDE DOGS – Must be licensed but are fee exempt. Dogs certified (documentation required) to assist sight-impaired or hearing-impaired person qualify for a free license.
  • POLICE DOGS - Must be licensed but are fee exempt. Dogs trained and utilized to assist law enforcement officers in the course of their duties are exempt from licensing fees.

LATE FEES – A fee of $20.00 in addition to the license fee is payable if your dog has not been licensed within 30 days:
  • After reaching the age of 4 months
  • After moving into Yuba County
  • After acquiring a new dog
  • After previous license expiration date
Many lost pets find their way to Yuba County Animal Care Services, Animal Care Shelter. To look for OR to report a missing or found pet, please go to the Pet Harbor site at the link below. Our staff receives notifications of lost and found pets from the site and can assist in reuniting pets and owners.


Have you LOST your Pet?

Photos on our web site may not do your animal justice, and the description we have provided for your animal may not match your own. For that reason, please use this web site only as ONE tool in searching for your lost animal. Please be sure to come down to our Center to look through the kennels yourself and visit our Lost and Found Counter where we have additional community resources to help you find your lost pet. In the meantime continue to check this site regularly as we upload new data frequently during business hours.

Please keep in mind that lost animals may travel away from your home before being brought to a shelter by an Officer or a citizen therefore, you may also want to contact other Animal Care Agencies in our area in search of your lost pet.

Our Center scans all animals entering our shelter. We recommend seeing your veterinarian to have your pet micro-chipped as a means of permanently identifying your pet. Rest assured that if your pet is lost, scanning can help point the way home.

Found Pets 

If you have found an animal and are trying to find the owner, you are welcome to use the resources at the Lost and Found Center here at Yuba County Animal Care Services. We encourage you to come in and fill out a Found Animal Report so that folks looking for their animals at our Center will be able to reference the description of the animal you have found.

The Appeal-Democrat also offers to place free advertisements for Found Animals. To place an ad, call (530) 741-8293. Please be sure to check the Appeal-Democrat’s “Lost” advertisements located in the classified section of their newspaper.

Pet Adoptions
Many lovable pets at Animal Care Services are waiting for good homes. To adopt a pet, please click on the link below.

We cannot guarantee that the pets on our site are still available as they are frequently adopted. Please visit or call our Center (530) 741-6478 to check on the current status of the animal you are interested. For us to assist you, we will need the Animal ID number. Our policy is that pet adoptions are on a FIRST-COME, FIRST-SERVICE basis.

ADOPTION FEES (Cash Only. No checks or credit/debit accepted at this time.)

DOGS = $43 | Puppies under 4 months of age = $50

CATS = $43 | Kittens under 4 months of age = $48

Add-on Microchip (at time of adoption) = $15 per animal

Spay or Neuter
Dogs and Cats 4 months and older must be spayed or neutered before they go home with an adopter. The surgery is performed the next available business day with a contracted veterinarian. The adopter picks up his/her altered animal in the afternoon before the vet hospital closes.

Preventative Vaccinations
Dogs, 6 weeks of age and older receive DHLPC vaccinations. Cats, 6 weeks of age and older receive the FVRCP vaccinations.

Rabies Vaccination
Rabies vaccinations are for dogs and cats over the age of 4 months.

Spay/Neuter Deposits
Puppies and Kittens less than 4 months of age, adoption fee is $50 for puppies and $48 for kittens. $40 is refundable when proof of spay/neuter is provided within 30 days of adoption.

Certificate for Physical Exam
As a community service to people adopting pets from Animal Care Services, participating veterinarians will provide a physical examination for your new pet so that you may be assured that it is in good health. This is free-of-charge to you, BUT DOES NOT include vaccinations, medication, or lab work. Such treatments are elective and provided at your own expense.

One-Year License
A one-year license $12 (in addition to adoption fees) applies only for those who reside in the unincorporated areas of Yuba County and within the City of Wheatland. If an adopter lives outside the city limits of Wheatland and the unincorporated areas of Yuba County, then he/she will need to license his/her pet within their local jurisdiction.

If you have recently adopted a pet, we hope you and your new pet will be very happy together.

Although we take every precaution concerning the health and well-being of our shelter animals, no guarantee of any kind can be given regarding the condition of an adopted animal. Please understand that any medical bills incurred for your pet will be solely your own financial responsibility.

Most of the animals come to us with unknown medical histories. Therefore, a complete check-up and vaccination by a veterinarian are a must. To ensure the happy and healthy life of your newly adopted family member, we urge you to have your pet examined routinely by a veterinarian.

Caring For Your Pet

Here are some helpful hints for responsible pet owners:
  • Provide your new pet with proper and humane care, food, water, shelter, exercise and all other necessities.
  • Provide your pet with veterinary care on a regular basis and if the animal becomes ill or injured.
  • Keep the animal as a pet and companion. Don’t use it as a guard dog, fighting dog, for experimentation or any unethical use.
  • Get your pet spayed or neutered to help reduce animal overpopulation.
  • License your dog. Proof of a rabies certificate is required.
  • Put an identification tag on your cat.
  • Our Center scans all animals entering our shelter. We recommend seeing your veterinarian to have your pet micro-chipped as a means of permanently identifying your pet. Rest assured that if your pet is lost, scanning can help point the way home.