Sexually Violent Predator offender placement proposed for Yuba County
The State of California Department of State Hospitals is recommending residential placement for 63 year old Eldridge Lindsey Chaney Jr, a Sexually Violent Predator, at the proposed address of 645 Ellis Rd in Marysville, Yuba County, California. On December 1, 2016 pursuant to Welfare and Institutions Code 6608.5, Yuba County Sheriff’s Department and District Attorney’s Office were informed by the State of California Department of State Hospitals of Mr. Chaney’s court ordered release and proposed relocation to our county from the Coalinga State Hospital in Fresno County, Ca.
• Eldridge Chaney Jr was convicted of rape and attempted burglary in 1978. In 1988 he was convicted of sexually assaulting a 16 year old female and also of assault to commit rape of another woman. His crimes occurred in the city of Seaside, Ca. Chaney used the element of surprise in all of his assaults and has twice used a weapon to overcome his victim’s resistance.
• Chaney Jr served over ten years in prison and was then committed to the state sex offender program in June of 2000. He received treatment at both Atascadero and Coalinga State Hospitals.
• Chaney Jr. suffers from diagnosed mental disorders including Antisocial Personality Disorder, Alcohol Use Disorder, and Other Specified Paraphilic Disorder, Non-consenting Adults.
• In 2010, Chaney petitioned and DSH recommended him for conditional release into Monterey County after completing the first four phases of the state sex offender program. Phase five of the program is transitional release into the community where he would be monitored while continuing treatment. At that time the request was denied by Monterey County Superior Court, ruling that Chaney Jr would be a danger to the health and safety of the community if he were released.
• In October 2014, Monterey County Superior Court ordered the conditional release of Eldridge Chaney Jr (case #SC006639A), a Sexually Violent Predator, to begin outpatient treatment and supervision by Liberty Healthcare.
• A review of suitable housing by Liberty Healthcare that meets the requirements of Chaney Jr’ s registration as a sex offender and abides by Jessica’s Law regulations has led Liberty Healthcare to recommend placement for Chaney Jr at the Ellis Rd, Yuba County residence.
In June 2016, Yuba County faced a similar situation when at that time we were notified that Sexually Violent Predator Fraisure Earl Smith was scheduled for release and relocation to the same Ellis Rd address. Public notification was made at that time; and public comments were received by the Sheriff’s Department and District Attorney’s office and filed along with our county objection to the placement. Fraisure Smith’s relocation here was ultimately denied by the court in Solano County. We will seek the same resolution in this case, but the outcome is not guaranteed. Once again we are making public notification to our citizens to advise them of this potential placement and assure them of our resolution to object to the relocation of this offender in our county.
A hearing for Eldridge Chaney Jr’ s placement in Yuba County is scheduled for January 6, 2017 before the Honorable Lydia M. Villareal in Monterey County Superior Court in Salinas, Ca. Yuba County Sheriff Durfor and District Attorney Patrick McGrath will travel to Monterey County to represent Yuba County and our objection to the placement. We encourage the public to access the Yuba County Sheriff’s Department website at http://sheriff.co.yuba.ca.us/ for updated information or to leave a comment. You can also submit letters to us at Yuba County Sheriff’s Department, 215 5th St. Ste 150, Marysville, Ca. 95901.
The above information is intended for information purposes only and is being released pursuant to Section 6609.2(a) of the California Welfare and Institutions Code. Any inquiries should be directed to the Yuba County Sheriff’s Department. Individuals should NOT attempt contact with the subject of the notification Eldridge Chaney Jr, nor any parties named within the notification or associated with the Ellis Road, Yuba County, property. Anyone that uses this information to commit a crime or harass an offender or his/her family is subject to criminal prosecution and civil liability.